Since I've started this blog, I've given a lot of thought to the things that I purchase. Mainly clothing and beauty products. I was concerned that I was going to have to buy all new cosmetics, but mainly clothes. I don't think I'll be trashing my old clothes to make room for new ones. However, my goal is to eventually rid my life of the unethical "stuff," I've procured over the years. I started with my make-up, because let's face it, it's more expendable than clothing. These were some of my everyday wears that I knew I had to take a second look at:
Now, imagine my dismay when I found out that the only product I could keep was my amazing beauty blender! The rest of these products are from companies that use animal testing and contain chemicals known to cause harm to the environment and worse, our bodies.
After my search and sweep, I ran straight to my local non-poison supplier to buy some non animal tested, kind-of safe makeup and here's what I got:
The hard truth is that we'll never fully know what is in our make up because the cosmetics industry is one of the most unregulated industries of all time. They're a self regulated industry, which means they basically create their own laws. Do yourself a favor and be an informed consumer and stay away from unsafe products.
Here are some tools that I used to conduct my search:
- Here is an amazing website that will list all of the ingredients in your makeup!
- Here's a website to tell you alllll about those ingredients. (Companies don't always disclose every ingredient in their product, so use your discretion when deciding which brands you want to use.)
- Thank you Logical Harmony for creating an extensive list of makeup that is cruelty-free/vegan
- Here's another guide for my vegan lovers!
- And here are the chemicals to always avoid (courtesy of breastcancerfund.org)